Officially, Memorial Day is the federal holiday in which we remember the people who have died while serving in the country’s armed forces. Unofficially, it typically marks the start of the summer vacation season and the day of the cookout. Today your social media timelines will be full of people asking to “save them a plate”.
In honor of cookout season, I’ve put together a summertime flavor or cookout playlist, if you will. Now there are a lot of super throwback songs on this because when I first started curating the playlist, I thought off all the songs an uncle (in a white tee and leather sandals) would jam to as he’s making his famous barbecue (Frankie Beverly and Maze, Earth, Wind and Fire), but then there’s some classic rap songs (hello, Summertime by the Fresh Prince) that have to be included. And then personally, I love to dance, so I had to throw in a few dance jams.
I hope you all enjoy your day off and enjoy the flavor of the playlist. There are a few songs that Spotify didn’t have that are linked below.
Summertime Flavor: Cookout Playlist
- Lil Wayne – Mrs. Officer
- The Notorious B.I.G. – Going Back to Cali (Viceroy “Jet Life” Remix)
- Jennifer Lopez feat Fabolous – Get Right
- DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince – Summertime
- Maze Featuring Frankie Beverly – Before I Let Go
- Tupac Ft. Shock G & Money B – I Get Around
- Kanye West Ft. T-Pain – Good Life
- Nelly – Hot In Herre
- Carl Carlton – She’s a Bad Mama Jama
- UGK – Int’l Players Anthem (I Choose You)
- Cameo – Candy
- Brick – Ain’t Gonna Hurt Nobody
- Lorde – Royals (Magnifik Remix)
- Le Roux – Bulletproof
- Bob Marley – Stir it Up (STYTE DUBSTEP RMX)
- Kool & The Gang – Get Down On It
- Isley Brothers- For the Love of You Pt 1 and 2
- Earth, Wind and Fire – September
- Justin Timberlake – Let The Groove Get In