Valentine’s Day is coming! Whether you’re celebrating with a romantic night with bae or planning to have a #Formation dance-off with your squad, your plans probably include having a few drinks. With a little help from Beyoncé, I’m sharing 5 things I try to remember when alcohol is involved.
- Save the sweet stuff for dessert. I rarely have a drink with a lot of sugary mixers. It’s not all about the calories for me, I just always think back to the stomach aching days of Smirnoff Ice. Personally, I drink to get a little buzz, not because I’m trying to satisfy my tastebuds, or to get jacked on sugar.
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach. Unless you like spending quality time hunched over a toilet or trash can, do this before you do anything else.
- Hydrate. MAJOR KEY ALERT! Most hangovers can be avoided if we stay hydrated before, during and after drinking. Sometimes this is easier said than done. Who is trying to drink 5 glasses of water on a night out? How am I supposed to pop, lock and drop it if I’m hitting the “Potty Dance” while running to the bathroom every 10 minutes?
- Stick to the plan. Switching from vodka, to whiskey, to wine just sounds like you want to get rid of your liver. (Or any organ, actually). If I’m drinking brown liquor, that’s bae for the night. Back in college, I was down to drink whatever was free, cheap or available. But these days honey, I’d rather go to bed at 7pm than drink free, cheap tequila. Speaking of tequila, that’s the type of alcohol I usually avoid.
- Know your limits. The world will not stop for a hangover, which is why I pick and choose my battles. If I have a deadline to meet the next day that requires the slightest bit of my energy, I’m going to tread lightly with the turn up. My 28-year-old self doesn’t bounce back like my 21-year-old self. I know sometimes you want to live in the moment, but knowing when to cut yourself off sure does make leaving the bed the next day a little easier.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or basically anyone to give you expert information on consuming alcohol. I’ve just had a few good parties in my day, and have mixed a few hundred drinks. I’m sharing this for a little fun. Please drink responsibly.
Do you abide by any of these drinking rules, or do you have any tips or tricks of your own? Lemme know!