On a surprisingly cold November morning in Charleston, I dragged my feet into the kitchen for my daily shot of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). Despite the bad taste it left in my mouth and stomach, it was time to get rid of the bad vibes I woke up with. I walked backed to my room, and reached for the stack of index cards on my dresser.
“Today is the most magnificent day of my life!” I recited with a fake smile, “Health, wealth, happiness, love, success, prosperity and money come to me in great abundance.” Yes. All of that. This was the beginning of my morning affirmation routine. After my ACV shot, I read the index cards while staring at my “third-eye” in the mirror. (Your third-eye is basically in between, but slightly above, your eyebrows.) For 3 weeks, I repeated about 20 affirmations out loud at 3 times each. So. Many. 3s. Supposedly the ACV wakes up your third-eye, also known as the ajna chakra, so it helps you soak up all the good vibes your affirmations bring.
My motto at this point in life was fake it till ya make it. If I read the affirmations enough in a believable tone and with a smile on my face, they’d eventually become true. At the time, I just quit my job and ended a major freelance contract which left me money-less. This also meant moving out of my cozy bachelorette pad and of course, stress eating. All the changes had me way down, so I was looking for all the positivity I could get.
What is an affirmation?
An affirmation is a “statement that is declared to be true” (Shoutout to dictionary.com for a formal definition). Positive affirmations help us believe in our potential and strengthen our minds. If it’s not already part of your self-care rituals, today is a great day to start!
A few years after my affirmation routine was born, I rediscovered at least 100 index cards. There was an obsessive phase I went through with self-help: books, webinars and videos. I’m talking about the obnoxious ones with “Earn a 6 Figure Salary in 6 Days By Being Your Best Self” type of content. Although most of it was fluffed-up common sense, some of them did bless me with gems.
Originally this post was supposed to be a cute affirmations printable. I decided to go green by not encouraging you to print anything. I just feel better knowing that I too *dramatic pause* helped the planet. What actually happened is I never spent enough time learning to create a printable on my own after proposing this idea.
So shoot back that ACV, light your sage wand and repeat after me.
15 affirmations for a bad day
1. Nothing in life is worth the price of worry.
2. I constantly visualize my purpose, seeing it clearly in my mind’s eye.
3. I radiate beauty, charm and grace.
4. I always focus on the positive.
5. My fears of tomorrow are simply melting away.
6. Today I abandon my old habits and take up new, more positive ones.
7. My body is healthy; my mind is brilliant; my soul is tranquil.
8. I am at peace with all that has happened, is happening and will happen.
9. Today I am brimming with energy and overflowing with joy.
10. Though these times are difficult, they are only a short phase of life.
11. My efforts are being supported by the universe; my dreams manifest into reality before my eyes.
12. A river of compassion washes away my anger and replaces it with love.
13. I wake up today with strength in my heart and clarity in my mind.
14. I believe in myself, and my abilities.
15. I am the architect of my life: I build its foundation and choose its contents.