Although, I didn’t get to go to Coachella this year, I got my first music festival of the 2015 season down in the books – Sweetwater 420 Fest in Centennial Olympic Park. The weather wasn’t ideal for a music festival, but I powered through the rain and mud. Well, mostly powered through.
Despite thinking about all of the jokes made about him at the Justin Bieber Comedy Central Roast, seeing Snoop live was worth the price of the three-day wristband. Though he hasn’t had a recent radio smash, Snoop has plenty of hits. And a best of Snoop Dogg concert is better than some of the shows you’ll see “rappers” put on today. Like, I LOVE Trap Queen, but I’m not sure I could sit through a whole Fetty Wap concert.
Sweetwater 420 Fest
Here are a few clips I took during Snoop’s set (my apologies for any of my horrible singing that may be in the background) :
Yes, he started about 25 minutes late, but he put on an amazing show. The rumored 20,000 who braved the rain on Friday night were treated to: “Nuthin’ But a “G” Thang”, “Gin and Juice”, “Drop It Like It’s Hot”, “California Girls”, “I Love Rock and Roll”, a little Notorious B.I.G.- “Hypnotize” and of course a Tupac tribute “Gangsta Party”, as well as some of his other hits.
On Saturday, I walked around for the majority of the day drying off. I ended up in a crazy downpour sans umbrella. The rain washed off my makeup and collected in my combat boots. I wrung what seemed like a half a gallon of water from my shirt before shaking it off and grabbing a Sweetwater Blue to get me back in the festival mood.
No matter if you’re heading up to Bonnaroo or Lollapalooza this summer, or waiting for Midtown Music Festival in Atlanta in September there are certain types of people that you will always see. Over the weekend, I turned the “festival archetypes” into a game. Every time one of my friends spotted one of these “types” we got points.
- Flower Crowns
- Hula Hoop Girl
- Person in a Colorado Rockies or Denver Nuggets jersey: Now they won’t wear them because they are necessarily supporters of the team, but because they are supporters of legalization.
- White dreads: Like the fantastic J (Issa Rae) once said in Awkward Black Girl: “Guys come and go, but great friends are like nice-looking white dreads… hard to come by”.
- Multiple Bob Marley or One Love t-shirts: If I had a $1 for every Marley related t-shirt I spotted this weekend, I’d have more than enough for the new Samsung Galaxy. I’m not quite sure why Tuff Gong is the go to in festival wear, but it is.
- The avid music festival goer: This person will be wearing a vintage festival shirt (Bonnaroo 2009) and may even have a collection of wristbands from past festivals on their arm. They want you to know that this isn’t their first rodeo.
- The painted up girl: No pictures here, folks. But there’s gonna be a few people, guys and girls, who decide to go sans clothes and choose paint. I worried about the girls who painted up this weekend, but maybe the used waterproof paint. (rolls eyes).
This was all in good fun because let’s be honest if I would have had the free time, I would have totally made a flower crown to wear. Overall, I had a great weekend with my friends and made some great festival memories.
Do any of you have any plans to travel to music festivals? Tell me your plans and who you’re most excited to see. Leave a comment or tweet me @donnicakelsey.