It’s that time of year, peeps. In my head/ former life, I just know I was a TV show writer — all hits of course. However, since I’m in this life, I’ll just give you a fall 2017 TV preview. If you’re behind on any of your favorite shows, you may want to skip my commentary and just jot down the dates because there may be spoilers.
Fall 2017 TV Preview: Most Anticipated
This Is Us (NBC)
Premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 24 at 9/8c
I basically needed a box of tissues for every episode last season. So I’ll be buying in bulk before the second season begins. You know the saying about failing to plan. As you may recall, this is how we left the Pearsons:
- Back in the past Jack has left Rebecca after a huge fight
- Randall threw the idea out to Beth about adopting
- Kevin scored a big movie right after winning Sophie back
- Kate decided to pursure singing, like her mom
Things I need Answered: HOW DID JACK DIE? But most importantly will the second season live up to the amazingness that was the first season and what kind of narrative tricks are they going to pull on us?
Premieres: Thursday, Oct. 5 at 9 p.m./8c
This is the FINAL season of Scandal. I was still in grad school that fateful premiere day: April 5, 2012. As sad as I am to see it go and as much as I will miss the Twitter conversations, it’s time. I will have popcorn every Thursday and I will even drink red wine instead of my usual white. I’ll continue to @ Scott Foley – aka Jake aka Pillow Lips – (who has liked my tweets to him several times) and Papa Pope himself, the incomparable Joe Morton (who has also retweeted/liked my tweets).
I’ve read the final season starts 100 days into Mellie’s presidency and we’re going to really see a new side of Olivia as the new head of B613. I’m also very curious to see the new Quinn Perkins & Associates and how that storyline all plays out. Finally, will Fitz and Olivia end up together? I hope not. #TeamJake.
The Walking Dead (AMC)
Premieres: Sunday, Oct. 22 at 9 p.m./8c
The season 8 premiere is going to be the 100th episode of The Walking Dead. That’s crazy! And I have a feeling that the executive producers Scott M. Gimple and Greg Nicotero will pull out all the stops for this episode. The comic-con teaser had me hyped from from the first moment we hear Negan’s voice over about two seconds into the teaser.
Here’s what to expect: ALL OUT WAR
The battle is coming, y’all. Those trash people double-crossed our group to work with Negan and the Saviors, but we’ve got the Kingdom and Hilltop on our side. I say our because obviously I feel like I’m a part of Rick’s group.
Stranger Things (Netflix)
Premieres: Friday, Oct. 27
Y’all I’m geeked. To be honest, I wasn’t feeling Stranger Things the first episode or two. It just started so slow to me, but then I was hooked. Did you know the first season nabbed 18 Emmy nominations? That’s how good it was.
So here’s where we left off: Eleven, played by the oh, so charming and cool, Millie Bobby Brown, sacrificed herself to defeat the Demogorgon. Meanwhile, poor little Will gets rescued only to cough up something. A slug? Will, little man, what did you bring back from the Upside-Down?
I want to see how Nancy handles Barb’s death and what looks like could be a love triangle with Steve and Jonathan.
Fall 2017 TV Preview: Oldies but Goodies
A few of these shows are only four seasons in, but that’s enough to call it an oldie, right?
- American Horror Story: Cult → Season 7 premiere; Tuesday, Sept. 5 at 10 p.m./ 9c
- You’re the Worst (FXX) → Season 4 premiere; Wednesday, Sept. 6 at 10 p.m./9c
- Dancing with the Stars (ABC) → Season 25 premiere ; Monday Sept. 18 at 8 p.m./7c
- The Voice (NBC) → Season 13 premiere; Monday,Sept. 25 at 8 p.m./7c
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox) → Season 5 premiere: Tuesday, Sept. 26 at 9:30 p.m./8:30c
- Empire (Fox) → Season 4 premiere; Thursday, Sept. 27 at 8 p.m. /7c
- How to Get Away With Murder (ABC) → Season 4 premiere ; Thursday, Sept. 28 at 10 p.m./9c
- Black-ish (ABC) → Season 4 premiere; Tuesday, Oct. 3 at 9 p.m./8c
- Once Upon a Time (ABC) → Season 7 premiere; Friday, Oct. 6 at 8 p.m./7c
- The cast got all shaken up for this season, so I’m not sure it’s going to fly. I almost considered putting it in the hit or miss section.
- Jane the Virgin (The CW) → Season 4 premiere; Friday, Oct. 13 at 9 p.m./8c
- Shameless (Showtime) → Season 8 premiere; Sunday, Nov. 5 at 9 p.m./8c
The Mindy Project (Hulu)
Premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 12
I love Mindy Kaling and I love Mindy Lahiri. However, the upcoming sixth season will be the final season of the show. Bless Hulu for keeping this one alive after Fox canceled it.
When we left Mindy, she was proposing to Ben (beautiful Bryan Greenberg). I’m interested to see if marriage actually works out for Mindy and what her happily ever after will look like. I follow Mindy on Instagram and it’s been weird seeing her post photos of the final wrap days for some of my favorite characters.
Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 28 at 8 p.m./7c
Until Shonda makes the sun set on this show, I will continue to watch. No matter how many gallons of tears I shed over these fictional characters, I will keep coming back for more pain (and laughter). Season 14 should bring a lot of drama with Meredith’s promise for new love (R.I.P Derek) being ripped from her. To be honest, I think Alex and Meredith are endgame. Don’t @ me!
Fall 2017 TV Preview: PREMIERING this Fall
To be fair because there are premiering this fall all of them could technically be hits or misses, but three sections just seemed better in my head. 🙂
The Mayor (ABC) → Premieres Tuesday, Oct. 3 at 9:30 p.m./8:30c
The premise of this is a rapper runs for office as a publicity stunt and actually gets elected. It stars Brandon Micheal Hall, Lea Michele (hey girl hey), Yvette Nicole Brown (whom I LOVE). Also, Daveed Diggs of Hamilton-fame is a producer and writes music for the show. I’m super excited about this one.
The Good Doctor (ABC) → Premieres Monday, Sept. 25 at 10 p.m./9c
Mmk, stop me if this seems familiar. The Good Doctor is about a super smart doc with autism and Savant syndrome who doesn’t relate well to other people. P.S. he’s played by a British actor, but nevermind everything is fine, this isn’t House 2. The trailer looks really interesting, so I’m going to give it a chance.
Black Lightning (The CW) → No official date, but expect this one midseason (or earlier if Dynasty kicks the bucket).
I don’t trust The CW, but I do trust Mara Brock Akil- who has had her hands in some of my favorite series: Moesha, The Jamie Foxx Show, Girlfriends, Being Mary Jane, The Game. Plus,I love a series based on a comic book. The premise is, in the past Jefferson Pierce (played by Cress Williams) used his ability to control electricity to help those in need as Black Lightning. However, he quit the superhero biz because of the effects on his family (he has two daughters). Now, he’s getting pulled back into the world of fighting crime.
FALL 2017 TV PREVIEW: HIT or MISS?
- The Gifted (Fox) → Season 1 Premiere; Monday Oct. 2 at 9 p.m./8c
- The show follows two parents who discover their children possess mutant powers and they are forced to go on the run from a hostile government. There’s potential here, but we’ll have to see how it goes.
- Riverdale (The CW) → Season 2 premiere: Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 8 p.m./7c
- I actually really liked season 1. It’s just that The CW likes to ruin things, so I’m holding my breath.
- Dynasty (The CW) → Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 9 p.m./8c
- Oh look another The CW show. I can’t trust them. The Gossip Girl creators are revamping the classic ’80s soap. I’ve read we’re getting a modernized version of the families: the Carringtons and the Colbys. Also, the O.G. himself Alan Dale (The O.C., Ugly Betty, Once Upon A Time) also appears because he obviously belongs in Dynasty.
- The Resident (Fox) → Season 1 premiere ; no official date and time yet, but this one should pop up midseason
- There are a million and one doctor/hospital dramas so I’m not sure how this will be new/different. However, I love Matt Czuchry and Emily VanCamp, so I’m willing to give it a try. P.S. have I mentioned how Matt and I went to the same modeling/talent school? 🙂
- S.W.A.T. (CBS) → Season 1 premiere; Thursday, Nov. 2 at 10 p.m./9c
- S.W.A.T is one of the few movies I tolerate Samuel L. Jackson in. Thankfully, he’s nowhere in sight for this TV show inspired by the movie. Do you know who is in it? Shemar Moore.
That in itself is enough for me to give it a try, but I’m not sure this one will make it, folks.
What shows are you looking forward to this fall? Leave a comment below!